The main objective of the FlyATM4E project is to expand approved climate-assessment methods and optimization of aircraft trajectories in order to identify promising mitigation options suitable to solve the task of reducing overall climate impact of aircraft operations. FlyATM4E will develop a concept to identify climate-optimised aircraft trajectories which enable a robust and eco-efficient reduction in aviation’s climate impact. FlyATM4E will identify those weather situations and aircraft trajectories, which lead to a robust climate impact reduction despite uncertainties in atmospheric science that can be characterised by ensemble probabilistic forecasts.
- Horizon 2020
- Call: H2020-SESAR-2019-2 (SESAR 2020 EXPLORATORY RESEARCH)
- 1st June 2020 – 30 Nov. 2022
- 999765 €
- Concept studies on the mitigation potential by climate-optimized flights by DLRThe climate impact of aviation is caused by both CO2 emissions and non-CO2 effects, which include, for example, contrails, and contrail-cirrus, formation of ozone (O3) or methane (CH4) depletion by nitrogen oxide emissions. Aviation can reduce its climate impact by … More Concept studies on the mitigation potential by climate-optimized flights by DLR
- Women in aviation“Increasing female leadership in projects is not an easy task. I feel such activities need to start from the participating organisations. Additionally, visibility to women in science should be fostered and supported, for example in conference committees, evaluation boards, advisory … More Women in aviation
- Climate Impact Mitigation Potential of European Air Traffic in a Weather Situation with Strong Contrail FormationVarious team members just published the article Climate Impact Mitigation Potential of European Air Traffic in a Weather Situation with Strong Contrail Formation in the open-access journal Aerospace. It gathers the results from the ATM4E project, a former project in … More Climate Impact Mitigation Potential of European Air Traffic in a Weather Situation with Strong Contrail Formation